Home > Community Involvement
SUPERVALU’S comprehensive Community Relations program is active across the company, from the enterprise level to our retail banners and throughout our supply chain operations. At the heart of SUPERVALU’s charitable giving is the idea that being a good corporate citizen is an ongoing responsibility. Through the SUPERVALU Foundation and the company’s geographic businesses (retail, wholesale and subsidiaries), we strive to leverage our position as one of the largest companies in the U.S. grocery channel to affect positive change through financial support, product donations and volunteerism.
Last year, SUPERVALU’s charitable giving across the company reached approximately $115 million including food and monetary donations, customer and associate fundraisers, and in-kind giving to charitable organizations nationwide. We are also proud of our volunteer programs through SUPERVALU Volunteers in Action (VIA). This program mobilizes team members in our operations across the company to donate time and energy to a variety of causes.
In general, SUPERVALU’s giving decisions are focused on three areas where we believe we can make the greatest impact. These three focus areas include: Hunger Relief, Dietary Health and Nutrition, and Environmental Stewardship.
Hunger Relief: Ending hunger in our local communities is core to our charitable mission. We support organizations providing comprehensive hunger relief programming and food distribution.
Dietary Health and Nutrition: We fund organizations promoting nutrition education and maintaining a healthy lifestyle through diet.
Environmental Stewardship: SUPERVALU is committed to environmental stewardship and sustainable operations and will support local efforts toward sustainability.
How to Apply:
Our donation request process is now entirely online. To be eligible for a donation, a request must:
- Fall within our focus areas described above
- Include the organization's federal 501(c)(3) designation letter
- Note: charities with 501(c) designations other than (3) are not eligible for support
- Include a signed and dated IRS W-9
Organizations must have been granted 501(c)(3) status by the Internal Revenue Service and requests for specific program support are preferable to requests for general operating funds. Special consideration is given to organizations with which SUPERVALU team members are actively involved, provided the organization falls within the general focus areas above.
To request a donation from SUPERVALU or the SUPERVALU Foundation for programs near our corporate headquarters in Minneapolis, please follow the directions below.
If you are seeking a donation for an organization outside of Minnesota, please go to the website of our grocery store in your community.
SUPERVALU will generally not support:
- Third-party requests on behalf of another organization
- Fees for conferences, seminars or travel
- Advertising requests (including printed programs)
- Family or individual emergency relief
- Individual/team fundraising
- Travel and/or academic research
- Fees for participation in athletic or other competitive programs
- Fraternal or labor organizations
- Parties, ceremonies or memorials
- Lobbying or political initiatives
- Religious organizations (for religious programs)
- Organizations (or programs) that receive more than 30% if their funding through the United Way
- School field trips
- Workforce development programs
- All donation requests must be submitted through our online system
- Printed material, faxes and e-mailed donation requests will not be reviewed
- We are unable to respond to exploratory inquiries
Before you submit your application, please have the following documents ready for upload in PDF format:
- A scanned copy of your most current IRS 501(c)(3) certificate
- A scanned copy of a signed and recently dated IRS W-9
If your request meets our giving guidelines: