The giving guidelines and application process presented here are for the SUPERVALU® Foundation only. The SUPERVALU Foundation manages giving at the corporate level and focuses on supporting national causes and giving in the state of Minnesota where SUPERVALU's headquarters is located.
If you are seeking funding at the local or regional level, please contact the management at the SUPERVALU distribution facility or grocery chain in your community.
SUPERVALU Foundation Focus
The SUPERVALU Foundation focuses its giving in the following areas:
Hunger Relief: Product and financial donations to comprehensive hunger relief organizations and non-profit food distribution centers.
Health and Nutrition: Financial support and associate volunteer engagement through Volunteers in Action (VIA) for non-profit organizations whose programs educate and promote healthy lifestyles and nutrition, and disease management and prevention through diet.
Environmental Stewardship: Financial support is provided to those organizations whose primary mission is sustaining the viability of our planet.
Organizations must have been granted 501(c)(3) status by the Internal Revenue Service and requests for specific program support are preferable to requests for general operating funds. Special consideration is given to organizations with which SUPERVALU employees are actively involved, provided the organization falls within the general focus areas above.
The SUPERVALU Foundation Board of Directors meets quarterly to review grant requests. The SUPERVALU Foundation accepts requests in two forms:
- Minnesota Common Grant Application (PDF) - download now
- SUPERVALU Foundation Grant Application (PDF) - download now
In addition to a completed grant application, the request should include the following:
- Cover letter on the organization's stationery providing:
- Brief history, objectives and current activities of the organization
- Description of program or activity for which funds are being requested
- Proposed method of evaluating the program or activity
- Amount of request, including additional funds being sought and current pledges
- Copy of the organization's most recently audited financial report
- Current operating budget and proposed budget for the following fiscal year, if applicable
- List of the organization's board of directors and their affiliations
- Brief resume of the key staff for the program
- Copy of the organization's tax-exempt ruling under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
A completed grant request must be submitted in writing to: SUPERVALU Foundation, PO Box 990, Minneapolis, MN 55440
The deadlines for applications are February 15, May 15, August 15 or November 15. Organizations will be notified of the Board's decision within 90 days of the quarterly application deadline.
The Foundation's Board evaluates requests based on the following criteria:
- Active involvement of company personnel
- A clear description of the program
- Quality delivery of a needed service
- Results which are predictable and can be evaluated
- Fiscal and management capability to carry out the program
- Broad-based community support
- Competent, qualified staff and board
- Beneficial to a substantial segment of the community, with particular focus on at-risk or disadvantaged populations
The SUPERVALU Foundation will generally not support:
- Travel or research expenses
- Fees for participation in competitive programs
- Organizations which receive more than 30% of their funding from the United Way
- Veteran, fraternal or labor organizations
- Lobbying, political or religious programs
- Organizations that are not tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the IRS tax code
For more information about charitable giving through the SUPERVALU Foundation, please use our online contact form.